Best Snowboard Helmet Reviews Of 2017: Ultimate Buying Guide
Snowboarding requires you to wear a snowboard helmet for warmth and head protection. The body loses significant heat from the head. Therefore, keeping it covered when adventuring in the cold is absolutely essential.
Snowboard helmets are gaining a lot of popularity in the sport, and for good reason. The presence of numerous unforgiving surfaces, including ice, and high speed can land you into a serious crash. Your best bet of avoiding head injuries is wearing a snow helmet.
To simplify your search for the best snowboard helmet, we have prepared a list of our top four picks. Our selection criterion is based on high-quality features and unparalleled performance.
Smith Vantage MIPS Helmet
Zionor H1 Snowboard Skate Helmet
SUNVP Unisex Adult Snowboard Helmet
Giro Zone MIPS Snow Helmet
A well-fitted snowboard helmet will not only be more comfortable, it will provide better wind and impact protection. Here is how to find the right model:
Does the helmet meet minimum standards?
At this time, most manufacturers of snowboard helmets follow the United States and European standards. The standards need the helmets to resist multiple crash impacts. They cover the fundamental performance requirements for retention, helmet stability, and shock absorption.
Each snowboard helmet is required to meet the CPSC standard. The most popular voluntary standards are ASTM F2040-11 / CE EN1077. Most high performing snowboard helmets meet ASTM F2040-11 / CE EN1077 standards.
There are some helmets that may not meet either of the above stated standards, but will still have a sticker indicating that they meet some kind of European standard. Watch out for novelty helmets.
We strongly recommend you to settle for helmets with CPSC and ASTM F2040-11 / CE EN1077 standards. Make sure to check the stickers inside the helmet.
Always go for the perfect fit
The best snowboard helmet is supposed to fit comfortably and snugly. However, the basic fit is fairly straightforward. The fit should not have any wobbling, but there should be no pressure points, because they may cause pain over long distances.
Thick padding is always good for comfort, but extra-thickness may place your skull farther away from the shock-absorbing EPS. The fit should provide you with peripheral vision, allowing your goggles to fit comfortably.
High-quality features – high performance
The features that come with a specific snowboard helmet must offer the best performance. A good helmet ought to have a superior ventilation system with vent regulator. The regulator will allow you to control the airflow.
The chin strap should be sweat-absorbent and adjustable. A dial fit button is also necessary for achieving the perfect fit. The most convenient dial button is one that rotates 360 degrees for superior fit.
Check for helmets with a goggle loop/strap at the back for holding your goggles when they are not in use. Also, settle for helmets with ear pads that have speaker cutouts. This way, you will be able to listen to music and even communicate while on the snow trail.
Best Snowboard Helmet Models of 2017
1.Giro Zone MIPS Snow Helmet
- ASTM F2040-11 / CE EN1077 Compliant
- Low profile design
- Multi-Directional Impact Protection System (MIPS)
- XT2 Anti-Odor protection
- Stack ventilation
- Thermostat control adjustable tuning
- On-the-fly vertical tuning
- In form 2 fit system
- Hybrid construction
- Fidlock magnetic buckle closure
The Giro Zone MIPS is a state-of-the-art snowboard helmet with contemporary fittings. This is a very good-looking helmet that will impress you at first glance. It comes highly rated not only because of its good looks, but its overall features and performance.
Usually, most helmet brands/companies use EPS foam, but the Giro Zone is made up of a heavy-duty shell with EPP foam. You will notice significant resilience when you push the EPP foam, which offers a little more bounce for comfort.
The flexible EPP foam fits really well compared to other foam materials. The shell construction comprises of two pieces. There is the middle section that runs from the brow to the back of the head, and the outer surrounding piece.
The Giro Zone is incorporated with the stack ventilation system, which consists of multiple vents. Six of the air vents are closable for convenience, especially when you do not need too much airflow on your head. There are also enough exhaust vents for effective cooling.
When compared to competing models, the Giro Zone MIPS sits close to the head for a perfect fit. The front part is just an inch or so from your eyebrows, and the back is well-positioned for maximum impact protection.
Most helmet designs use either D-ring connection, but the Giro Zone MIPS employs a more advanced method, which is the Fidlock Magnetic buckle closure. This closure system is super easy to open as well as close, and it doesn’t come off during a crash.
- The Giro Zone MIPS helmet conforms to ASTM F2040-11 / CE EN1077 standard; therefore, its impact protection is reliable.
- It uses one of the most advanced impact protection, which is the multi-directional impact protection system.
- The thermostat control adjustable venting is convenient when you do not require excess of airflow on your head.
- The Fidlock magnetic buckle closure is highly user-friendly, because it is easy to close and open, and it doesn’t come off during a crash.
- This is a very versatile helmet with seamless compatibility with all the models of Giro goggles.
- There are only three available sizes: small, medium, and large.
This is a well-recommended and highly rated snowboard helmet because of its high-quality features and performance.
2.Zionor H1 Snowboard Skate Helmet
- CE EN1077 Certified
- Available in three size options (Small, Medium, and Large)
- EPS + ABS material
- Detachable lining
- Chin strap is soft and sweat absorbent
- Thickened inside padding
- Adjustable helmet size dial
- Airflow control switch
- Ten vents
- Detachable lining
The Zionor H1 is exactly the helmet you need for your snowboarding adventures. At first glance, you will observe is the slope design that offers full protection. The design is reinforced with heavy-duty, high-impact ABS and EPS for unmatched protection.
The ABS material offers superb strength for a rigid, hard, and tough shell that offers considerable weather protection and impressive impact protection. The shell also presents excellent performance in both low and high temperatures.
If you want effective ventilation during your adventures, then you should settle for the Zionor Lagopus. The dual airflow evacuations allow you to conveniently open as well as close the front vents, especially when the wind is too strong.
The helmet is highly versatile and resourceful. The adjustable chin strap and dial fit button allow for easy adjustment of the helmet in order to achieve the perfect fit. This ensures that the helmet sits deep in your head to offer maximum comfort.
The helmet is compatible with the solid ski goggles. There is a goggle strap with an easy press and release button that you can use to hold the goggles when you are not using them. The best thing about this helmet is that it is compatible with Zionor ski goggles.`
- The ABS shell with EPS foam has very high impact strength for maximum protection.
- The adjustable dial fit button and chin strap make it easy for you to achieve the perfect fit.
- The dual mode airflow evacuations allow you to close or open the front air vents for convenience.
- The thickened inside padding and detachable lining offer you the much needed comfort during on the trail.
- The helmet comes in limited size options.
As stated in the review, there are several unique features that guarantee unmatched performance. So, it is a good investment.
3.SUNVP Unisex Adult Snowboard Helmet
- ABS shell with EPS foam
- Removable liner and earmuffs
- Windshield button
- Soft warm cotton velvet
- Size adjustment button
- Comfortable buckle closure
- Goggle strap
- Multiple air vents and vent buttons
The SUNVP Unisex is a high performing snowboard helmet for both male and female snowboarders. The helmet’s sleek design is available in two specific colors: milk white and purple. The available size options are medium and large.
The shell is made of ABS material. The large variety of end uses make the ABS material one of the strongest thermoplastics. The rubber content in the composition of the shell provides high impact protection during use.
The sleek helmet design is incorporated with multiple airways at the top, front, and back for effective ventilation. There is a vent button right at the top that allows you to conveniently close the upper six vents. You can close the vents when there is too much wind.
A unique feature that makes it the best snowboard helmet is the size adjustment button. The button allows you to acquire the ideal fit by fine-tuning the adjustment system. It also allows you to properly position the helmet deep into your head.
The interior features soft velvet material that is not only warm, but also comfortable. The lining and earmuffs are detachable for easy cleaning and maintenance. They will not fade during washing. In fact, they will last remarkably long.
The sweat-absorbent chin pad is made of high-quality velvet material that offers superb impact protection on the chin. The fan-shaped buckle closure is quick to release and close, and it stays put, in case of an accident, ensuring that the helmet stays in place to protect your head.
- The sleek helmet design is made of high-strength and high-impact ABS and EPS.
- The interior comprises of thick velvet lining that offers remarkable warmth and comfort.
- The vent button at the top of the helmet allows you to regulate airflow.
- The sweat-absorbent chin strap and the fan-shaped buckle allow you to achieve the perfect fit and comfort.
- The velvet liner and removable earmuffs add comfort during use, especially during vigorous snowboarding sessions.
- The helmet comes with limited color options and sizes.
The SUNVP helmet is incorporated with all the necessary features a snowboarder requires, and it comes with a very flexible and customer-friendly price range.
4.Smith Vantage MIPS Helmet
- ASTM F2040, CE EN1077 certified
- Advanced Aerocore Technology
- Hybrid SL shell design
- Nano silver performance lining
- Snap-fit SL2 ear pads
- 21 vents for unmatched ventilation
- Dual regulator
- AirEvac 2 ventilation
- Adjustable Boa FS360 fit system
The Smith Vantage MIPS is a well-built modern-day snowboard helmet. The helmet features a hybrid shell design, which simply means that the helmet is lightweight, low profile, and best fitting helmet on the market.
Its engineering is based on Aerocore technology to keep it breathable and comfortable. The back uses traditional EPS foam, which along with the hybrid shell conform to the required safety standards, including ASTM and CE EN1077.
The Aerocore technology consists of chloride, which is the material inside the helmet that resembles honeycomb. The sleek design allows you to cut through the wind at ease without any difficulties.
The Aerocore technology increases airflow, while still offering full coverage protection. The airflow system is fitted with a dual regulator, which you can use to adjust the air vents both at the front and the back of the helmet.
The integrated Boa FS360 fit system is fully adjustable, and it allows for both forward and lateral fit adjustments. This provides you with a 360 adjustment. It has a removable mesh and fleece lining. The ear pads are compatible with ear buds.
- The hybrid SL shell design is lightweight, high-impact, and low profile.
- The Aerocore technology used keeps the helmet breathable and comfortable.
- The dual regulator allows you to open/close vents for convenient airflow.
- It is incorporated with a goggle vent and removable goggle lock strap.
- The helmet is relatively heavy compared to competing models.
Apart from the fact that is a little bit heavy, the Smith Vantage MIPS Helmet consists of the best features any snowboarder will enthusiastically pay for.
This marks the end of our collection of the best snowboard helmet reviews. However, your options are not limited to, our top picks. You can opt to explore the market for other high performing snow helmets.
Selecting a snowboard helmet doesn’t have to be a difficult proposition. You just need to have the appropriate buying information and recommendations. And that is exactly what we have provided you with, in this brochure.